These brownies. Where do I begin? Breakup Brownies are an outrageous mixture of two of my most favorite things in this world- chocolate and peanut butter. Wait, wait, wait! Breakup Brownies have FOUR of my most favorite things in this world- chocolate, peanut butter, Oreo’s, and Reese’s. You will literally want to eat these ’til the cows come home!
These bad boys have become one of my most loved brownie recipes. On top of that, they are pretty simple. In between layers, there is some required cooling, but like I said, they are simple.
There are various recipes for these bars and a lot of recipes entitle them “Crack Brownies”. I’ve got no beef with that name, but I have my reasons for liking the other. Some may scoff that when I married My Cowboy, I literally married one of the first guys I met when I went off to college, but I never had the heartbreak of a bad breakup. Score! Seriously though, I think if I were going through a breakup, my recovery would call for these. Therefore, I still dub them, “Breakup Brownies”.
We begin with a boxed brownie mix. Sure you can be fancy and use the real thing, your own homemade recipe. However, if you add a few simple ingredients to a brownie mix you can end up with something practically like the real, homemade deal.
Next, we add a full covering of Reese’s and Oreo’s.
To top it off, we melt milk chocolate chips and peanut butter, mixed with Rice Krispy’s and Oreo’s for a generous layer of deliciousness.
So tasty. Let me repeat- SO TASTY!
Get a load of that!
Another note is that I have made these in both a 8×8 inch pan and a 9×13 inch pan. If you use the former, be ready for a SUPER thick brownie, like the ones in these photos. If you use the latter, they are a pretty standard brownie size. I don’t know that I liked either way better so I guess it would just depend how many people I was trying to stretch the brownies for.
- -1 box brownie mix
- -1/4 cup milk
- -2 eggs
- -1/2 cup butter, melted
- -12 Reese's peanut butter cups, cut into quarters.
- -10 Oreo's, in chunks
- -2 cups milk chocolate chips
- -1 cup peanut butter
- -1 tablespoon butter
- -1 teaspoon vanilla
- -1 cup Rice Krispie's Cereal
- -3/4 cup Oreo's, in small chunks
- *1. Preheat oven at 325 F. Grease an 8x8 inch pan. Combine the brownie mix, milk, eggs, and butter. Pour into greased pan. Bake for 50-52 minutes.
- 2. When you pull the brownies out of the oven, immediately place the Reese's peanut butter cups and the 10 chunked up Oreo's on top of the brownies. After 3-5 minutes, spread the melted Reese's and Oreo's with a knife. Let brownies cool completely.
- 1. Place chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Melt in the microwave using increments of thirty seconds. Stir between each thirty seconds. Continue until melted and smooth. Add vanilla and combine.
- **2.Add Rice Krispie's and Oreo's to the chocolate chip and peanut butter mixture.
- 3. Spread topping over cooled brownies and let set up completely. Serve and enjoy!
- *You can make this same recipe in either a 9x13 inch or 8x8 inch pan. The 8x8 inch pan will yield a very thick brownie like in these photos. Just make sure you adjust the baking temperature and time in correlation with the size of pan you use, according to the instructions on whichever brownie mix you have.
- **You can skip the 3/4 cup of Oreo's and just use 1 3/4 cup of Rice Krispies instead. Using the Oreo's makes for a pretty rich brownie but they are so good!