Harry Potter’s Butterbeer is a fun and delicious beverage that will take any H.P. fan straight to Hogsmeade. If you have no clue what Butterbeer or Hogsmeade is I promise you would still find this a tasty drink, especially for a Halloween party! Butterbeer has a cream soda base, mixed with a homemade caramel, and topped with whipped cream. So good.
My Cowboy and I have in fact been to Harry Potter World at Universal Studios in Orlando and tasted their Butterbeer. So I guess I like to think we have a little authority when it comes to this topic :).This recipe tastes exactly like the Butterbeer we had in Orlando, only a touch better, and it is way less expensive to make at home!
My sister’s family, My Cowboy, and me just celebrated October with our third annual Harry Potter party. Two years ago was our first official H.P. party. Two of my sisters and their combined nine kids, my parents, My Cowboy, and I did the whole shebang! The kids entered the house through platform 9 3/4 and shopped for their wands and robes in Diagon Alley. The sorting hat, with the help of technology the littles couldn’t quite figure out, literally spoke and sorted them to their appropriate house- GRYFFINDOR! We played a game of quidditch, then held potions and transfiguration lessons. The kids even got to buy candy at Honeyduke’s. Between my sister and I, we made cauldron cakes, Butterbeer, pumpkin pasties, and pumpkin juice. It was so fun and festive!
I realize if you aren’t a Harry Potter fan, most of that probably sounded like gibberish, but Harry Potter fan or not, you will love this tasty drink!
Fall and Halloween time is the perfect time to have Harry Potter inspired treats, like this Butterbeer! If you couldn’t tell, we are total Harry Potter nerds. Before we were married, My Cowboy was not so much into Harry Potter. I told him he had to at least give H.P. an honest go by watching the movies through from start to finish. Eventually he got through them all and decided the stories weren’t so bad after all. These days, he loves the series almost as much as me and listens to H.P. podcasts at work. I’m so proud. Now he just needs to read all the books!
Like I said, Harry Potter fan or not you will love this tasty drink!
- 1 1/2 cup cream, divided
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 liter bottle of cream soda
- Place 1 1/4 cup of the cream and powdered sugar together and whip until stiff peaks form. Set aside. Combine brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook for one minute and remove from heat. Stir in the butter, salt, apple cider vinegar, and remaining 1/4 cup of cream. Let cool to room temperature. I like to place it in the freezer a few minutes to quicken the cooling.
- To prepare for serving, place 8-12 oz of cream soda in a glass (I prefer to only drink 8 oz at a time as it is a pretty filling drink with the caramel and the cream). Pour 3-4 tablespoons of the caramel mixture into the cream soda and stir. Top with the whipped cream and drizzle with a little extra sauce if desired, for garnish. Enjoy!
- Adapted from The Huffington Post