Happy first day of fall! I can’t think of a better way to celebrate than with this Chocolate Pumpkin Bread. For ages, I have had pumpkin bread combined with chocolate on my mind, and I finally got it made. It is my first official pumpkin recipe of the season, and for that I am excited.
I love fall. The one consolation to me when summer comes to an end is that it means fall is here. I am definitely a four-seasons-kind-of-gal, but I really look forward to summer all year long and it is such a bummer to me when it is over.
Fall definitely helps ease the pain.
You know what else helped ease the pain? This Chocolate Pumpkin Bread. Pumpkin bread really is fantastic enough by itself, but this version takes it to infinity and beyond. The actual bread has all the ingredients you would normally see in pumpkin bread, but with a whole bunch of cocoa added to seal the deal. Plus chocolate chips- I don’t believe in any pumpkin bread without chocolate chips.
The bread ends with a chocolate glaze. When I made the glaze, I was doubling the recipe for two loaves and really thought I was making plenty. I was wrong. Therefore, I will fill the recipe card with instructions for a batch of glaze that will go a little farther. I would never want to con you into thinking that my recipe gives you ample glaze, and have you disappointed that you needed to hurry and make up another batch.
When it comes to glaze, I like a decent covering, like shown in the pictures, but I also like to have enough to set aside that we can put on top of our individual pieces after they are cut.
Another thing about quick breads is that they are, well, quick! It only takes a few minutes to throw them together for the oven. Plus Chocolate Pumpkin Bread will make your house smell dreamy. Happy Fall!
Recipe adapted from Lindsay Funston
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven @ 350 F. In a large mixing bowl, combine vegetable oil, eggs, sour cream, sugar, vanilla, and pumpkin. In another bowl, combine, flour, cocoa powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and baking powder. Pour wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Place in a greased 9x5 loaf pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool ten minutes then flip onto a serving plate.
- To make the chocolate glaze, whisk together melted butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, cream, and vanilla. I find it hard to give an exact amount of liquid for a glaze, because it is dependent on who thick you want it. I prefer a thicker glaze, so add as much or as little cream as you like, until the desired consistency is reached. Pour over the pumpkin loaf and enjoy! Store leftovers in an airtight container.