I love ice cream and I love Hot Fudge Sauce. Hot Fudge and I are basically two peas in a pod. Especially when it is dripping down a bowl full of three or four big ol’ scoops of vanilla ice cream. I’m not a big fan of vanilla ice cream plain. I love it on top of a brownie or cobbler, but I’d much rather have something with a chocolate or even a fruity base if I’m eating it plain. Does it surprise you that my number one pick is any flavor that has both chocolate and peanut butter? However, I adore vanilla ice cream when it is dripping with Hot Fudge. It’s even better if there is a brownie on the bottom!
This has been my go-to Hot Fudge Sauce for years. My mom stumbled upon this recipe when I was a young teen and I’ve been making it ever since. It is super simple and can be ready to serve nice and quick-like.
This recipe is the perfect consistency. I like a fairly thick sauce for ice cream. I would rather it be too thick than too thin. This version is thick enough it stick s a bit to the ice cream but thin enough it doesn’t harden once it’s placed on top of it.
There are a few Hot Fudge recipes in my arsenal. My Cowboy and I love them all. We rotate through each of them, but I always have a special place in my belly for this one. I would say I’ve always been a Hot Fudge addict, but this past year or so, I have not been restricting my intake to just ice cream. I’ve been eating it on brownies, cheesecake, fruit and anything else that I think it can possibly go with. And for whatever treat I don’t think Hot Fudge pairs well with, I use this caramel sauce.
Whoever came up with the idea that a little Hot Fudge Sauce goes a long way didn’t love it nearly as much as I do.
I have drenching problems.
For this sauce, I use 2/3 milk chocolate and 1/3 dark chocolate. I’m not a fan of dark chocolate alone, I much prefer the sweetness of milk chocolate. I love rich flavors though. So in order to get the sweetness of milk chocolate with the richness of dark chocolate, I pair the two together, with a higher ratio of milk chocolate. If you are a dark chocolate lover, go ahead and use as much dark as you like!
Now go on and drench your ice cream with this delicious sauce!
- 1 14 oz can sweetened, condensed milk
- 2/3 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (optional)
- Place sweetened condensed milk, milk chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, butter, and vanilla in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir occasionally until melted. Don't let it scorch! Finish melting in any chocolate clumps by whisking. Add cream, if desired, for consistency. Add more if you want to thin out the sauce. Serve over ice cream or brownies. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Use any ratio of dark or milk chocolate chips you like! I prefer the flavor of milk chocolate with a little richness from the dark chocolate, so I add the dark chocolate chips. Sometimes I do 3/4 cup milk chocolate to 1/4 cup dark chocolate. Use what you prefer.